Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash


Remember back forever ago when I said I was going to post which acorn squash recipe I decided to try? Welp....better late than never!!


I chose the Quinoa-Stuffed Acorn Squash from about.com! I made a few alterations to the recipe, however, to accommodate what I had in my pantry and my personal tastes. Here is the recipe with my adjustments:

Quinoa-Stuffed Acorn Squash-
Ingredients:
  • 2 1 acorn squash
  • approximately 1 tbsp vegan margarine olive oil
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups vegetable broth or water (I used water)
  • 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley (didn't have any...)
  • 1/4 cup minced onion (I was too lazy....)
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup candied or regular pecans (I'm allergic)
  • 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
  • sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
Preparation:
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.


 Slice acorn squash in half and remove the seeds. Spread a bit of vegan margarine olive oil on the inside of the squash, then place on a baking sheet, cut-side down, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until soft. 
 

Simmer quinoa, covered, in vegetable broth or water for 12-14 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Add diced onion during the final 5 minutes of cooking time.

Remove quinoa from heat and mix in the raisins, pecans, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and optional nutritional yeast. Season generously with sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste.


Divide the quinoa stuffing amongst the four two squash halves, gently spooning in.

And that's it! This makes amazing leftovers as well. I diced up the leftover acorn squash and added it into the quinoa with a dash of cinnamon. Yummy lunch for work!


No comments:

Post a Comment