Tuesday, October 9, 2012

What I Ate Wednesday- Vegan Edition

I'm baaaack! Just in time for another edition of What I Ate Wednesday!!!


Man, it's been a long time, and I have truly missed these posts. I'm excited to bring to you.....drumroll pleaseeee.... my very first VEGAN WIAW :) At least I think everything has technically been vegan, feel free to comment if you think otherwise! Check out my Vegan Virgin post about my decision to make the final leap to veganism.

Peas and Crayons

As always, a big thank you to Jenn over at Peas and Crayons for hosting the party. I am absolutely loving this month's theme, and though my eats aren't too spooky, I do have a few autumnal photos at the end of the post as a preview for tomorrow's post!


Breakfast consisted of a mug of delicious, creamy oats. I used a packet of Three Sisters Plain Grain Organic Hot Cereal, which is a combo of flax, oats, quinoa, rye, and barley. The packets are pretty small, though, and I need a heartier breakfast in the morning, so I added in a few tablespoons of Trader Joe's Organic Rolled Oats and a few tablespoons of Nature's Promise Organic Quick Oats. I also add 1 tablespoon of Chia Seeds to get in some Omega 3-fatty acids and some raisins for a change of texture and antioxidants. To sweeten the oats, I added about 3 tablespoons of my homemade unsweetened apple butter that I made this weekend (the apples were so sweet and tart that they didn't need any added sugar!).



Since I am now dairy-free, I used half soy milk and half water to cook the oats in the microwave. Once the mixture was cooked through, I sprinkled in a bit of cinnamon and truvia for a final touch  :)


I have honestly been having oatmeal all week, JUST so I can use my apple butter. I am lovingggg this right now. Definitely a fall staple.


Along with my oatmeal I had a soy cappuccino of sorts. I used my dad's tassimo machine to brew a few shots of espresso and added a BIG splash of soy milk and a sprinkle of Trader Joe's Sugar, Chocolate, and Coffee Grinder. I love this thing. I have seen it all over the blogosphere, so I had to check it out for myself. I am so glad I did. It adds just the right amount of sweetness without the guilt.


 For lunch, I brought leftovers of the Italian Chickpea dish that I made for dinner Monday night. It consists of canned chickpeas, fresh spinach and fresh orange cherry tomatoes from our local farm, an organic red tomato, a splash of mushroom tomato sauce, olive oil, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. This was my first time eating chickpeas on their own, not in hummus.

 
It was pretty good!! Kinda made me feel a bit weird, but I think it was a mind over matter kind of a thing. Because of all of my food allergies, my mind is conditioned to react a certain way when I eat something that I am allergic to. Sometimes, I may eat something I'm not actually allergic to, but my mind will go on the fritz. I start to think my mouth is itchy, and my throat is swollen, but it's not! It's crazy, I know, and I am working on it!


I had a handful of carrots on the side as well.


My snacks throughout the day were a honey crisp apple and a banana. Both refreshing and yummy!

 For dinner, I heated up this little Amy's bad boy that I purchased at Giant along with other vegan goodies. I ate it alongside Green Mountain Gringo Organic Tortilla Strips and fresh spinach from our local farm.


 These chips are AMAZING. Literally THE best tortilla chips I have had in my entire life. The perfect texture and thickness and saltiness. Just all around tortilla chip goodness.


This was my first time trying the vegan enchilada, and it was decent. I didn't loveeeee it, but for a frozen, cheese-less enchilada it wasn't half bad. It was pretty spicy though, which I wasn't a huge fan of, so I added diced avocado atop my meal to cool down the heat. I also wasn't too sure about how the enchilada contained tofu. I am not really a tofu lover (I am, however, a tempeh lover!!), so I was nervous about how it would effect the taste of the enchilada. It was actually barely noticeable! The only thing that was noticeable was the creaminess the tofu kind of added to the sauce.

As promised, here are a few photos from my trip to Wolf's Farms Market with my mom on Saturday:




Happy Fall everybody, and happy WIAW!!

What type of soy milk do you drink?
What are staples in your vegan/vegetarian diet?

2 comments:

  1. I don't drink any milk really, but when I used to, I drank unsweetened almond milk.

    I'm not vegan (or vegetarian) but I do have some food allergies that make a lot of my meals vegan. Brown rice protein powder is a necessity for me. As is quinoa flakes. Bananas and apples are go-to's because they are essential in making vegan baked goods/desserts. Chia seeds are also awesome to grind up and make into "eggs" for recipes.

    Speaking of recipes... Made any amazing vegan baked goods yet?! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great meals. Did you post your recipe for your lunch?? It looks delicious

    ReplyDelete