Tuesday, August 7, 2012

WIAW: Weekend Edition

I'm the worst.... I haven't blogged in a full week!! That makes me sad...but to make up for it, I have some exciting new eats for this week's What I Ate Wednesday :)

Peas and Crayons
As always, thanks to Jenn over at Peas and Crayons for hosting the party!
Last week I made an Italian Grilled Cheese of sorts using Nature's Pride Sweet Crunch Bread, Parmesan cheese, low fat mozzarella cheese, fried organic egg, pepper, and garlic salt all melted together in one crunchy cheesey sandwich and dipped in organic mushroom marinara sauce.
Typical. Yep, another morning of Overnight Oats. Hey what can I say? I am a creature of habit. Instead of using vanilla greek yogurt, however, I have begun using plain greek yogurt and adding vanilla, cinnamon, and jam!
 Big, fresh, organic strawberries.
Spring mix with chopped tomatoes, shredded part-skim mozzarella, garlic lover's hummus, roasted red pepper hummus, and Gazebo low fat Greek dressing.
 Carrot chips!! Perfect to dip into my hummus topped salad :)
Dinner at Pizzeria Uno's with my mom and brother. I had a suprisingly healthy dinner for a pizza place that has infamously unhealthy deep dish pizza! Igot the Roasted Vegetables & Goat Cheese Wrap-A whole wheat and flaxseed tortilla filled with roasted vegetables, caramelized onions, tomato, goat cheese, lettuce and balsamic vinaigrette... with the Farro Salad- A whole-grain wheat with diced tomatoes, cucumbers and balsamic vinaigrette. Fantastically healthy for you. See even Uno's says it's healthy :) It was really yummy.
 Another shocker.... Iced coffee!
A new breakfast favorite of mine.. toasted Nature Pride's Sweet Crunch Bread, natural strawberry jam, and vanilla greek yogurt. Weird I know, but soooo good. I like a sweet breakfast. Need that sugar boost in the morning.
 
Homemade Veggie Lasagna on Friday night with the fam and leftovers for lunch on Tuesday. I'm not a huge lasagna fan, but I really enjoyed this.

pub
Saturday night I went out to dinner with the family at Duffer's Pub. SUCH A COOL PLACE. Above is a picture from their website. I felt like we were beach side, and for a pub, it was really great and fresh food!
Enjoyed a refreshing Blue Moon (favorite beer by the way).
We shared a few appetizers before our dinners including...Roasted Pepper Hummus- chick peas ground with roasted peppers then finished with olive oil and feta cheese served with toasted pita wedges and assorted vegetables. Literally the BEST hummus I have EVER had! Literally. so. good. Those Sweet Potato Chips were pretty darn delicious too... especially when dipped in the hummus :)
Veggie Panini- Grilled portabella topped with roasted peppers, red onions, provolone and marinara sauce served on toasted ciabatta bread.
Annie's Bunny Graham Friends because they're delicious and because I am eating them as I type this post. An oldie but goodie.

Where do you like to go out to eat to get a healthy meal?
Do you ever feel like food tastes better when someone else makes it?
How do you mix it up your typical breakfast routine?

Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!

13 comments:

  1. Mmmm lasagna... blue moon... wraps! <3 Happy WIAW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of an "italian grilled cheese" before, but you better believe I just wrote the recipe down. Cannot wait to try it out!

    I don't ever mix up my breakfast meals actually. I really should, but I'm always craving a smoothie first thing in the morning so it never seems to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first italian grilled cheese too! A nice twist on an old classic. Let me know what you think!

      I wish I had the patience to make a smoothie in the morning (or the time...I am always always running late).

      Delete
  3. Dont feel bad for not blogging for a whole week. Life comes first.. so it's totally OK if you dont blog for a few days. :)

    I've never had Italian grilled cheese but it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! You're totally right, sometimes life happens...and thank goodness it does, because then I wouldn't have anything to blog about right? ;)

      Delete
  4. I totally understand the yogurt on toast thing. I put yogurt on waffles (less weird) it's just like whipped cream, but better for you!

    And I totally understand, food often does taste better when someone else makes it for you. Not all the time, but sometimes. I've also noticed that I'm more willing to eat things I "don't like" if someone else makes it for me. Like clams. I had clams in my pasta the other month, and although traumatizing, it wasn't half bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I put yogurt on waffles too! That's how the toast thing started...because I ran out of waffles. And good for you for trying something new. Who knows... maybe you will grow to enjoy clams in the future!

      Delete
  5. Carrot chips are, in fact, genius! And I totally agree... Blue Moon for the win! So refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Best idea ever. I am inspired to make all kinds of new dips to bring for lunch just so i can use my carrot chips :)

      Delete
  6. Everything looks so delicious I don't even know where to begin...italian grilled cheese? Yes please! I will be trying that ASAP :)

    Thanks for sharing. Happy WIAW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooo, that wrap from pizzeria uno sounds great! your veggie lasagna looks delicious, too.

    i just bought a ton of organic strawberries!!! i know they're on the "dirty dozen," but i never buy organic. these little guys are so good, though. and your overnight oats make me want to go back to them. i was on a kick for at least a month, but i haven't made any in so long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like going to really unhealthy places and completely changing my order! I see it like a challenge... For example, I'll go to someplace and order the seemingly healthy "grilled chicken sandwich." With the mayo, bacon, shredded cheese and guac though, NOT VERY HEALTHY! So I'll change up my order: no bun or toppings, add lettuce, tomato, onion and sauteed mushrooms. Change out the fries for veggie sticks and the coleslaw for fresh fruit. HEALTHY and tasty. Haha. A very long answer :)

    That hummus looks awesome. What is your favorite vegetable for dipping? Pita would be my favorite, but since I can't have wheat I am looking for ideas... So far I've tried cucumbers and carrots.

    ReplyDelete