Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pancakes for Dinner!

Yummm just the title of this post is making me want pancakes right now....!


For the past few weeks, I've had pancakes on my mind. Let me preface this with the fact that I have not ordered or made pancakes in like 3 or 4 years. They were never really my thing. I would much rather have a hearty omelet filled with veggies and cheese... that is until I saw this post and this post and then I knew that I HAD to make pancakes for dinner that night.


To make these wonderful pancakes you will need... baking soda, salt, cinnamon, skim milk, vanilla, eggs, whole wheat flour, rolled oats, flaxmeal, baking powder, brown sugar, and dark chocolate chips.



I only use cage-free, natural eggs. You probably would too if you watch the documentary Food Inc. The film literally changed my life...but I will save that for another time....where were we? PANCAKES. right. So two egg whites cracked in a bowl and whisked a bit.


Then I added about 1/2 cup of organic skim milk. I whisked that around too and then added some vanilla.



Next for the dry ingredients... I mixed together the oatmeal, whole wheat flour, flaxmeal, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt just until blended.


Then I slowly poured the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

Mix well! The batter should become puffed up and bubbly because the large amount of baking powder is at work.. (make these and you will understand what I mean)


Once blended, I added about 2 teaspoons of brown sugar to taste.



Next I got my grandma's old black skillet hot and ready. (read: medium-low heat, sprayed with cooking spray).


And then I just plopped spoonfuls of the batter into the skillet and sprinkled the chocolate chips all over.



I let it cook for about 4-5minutes until bubbles started to form.



However, sometimes bubbles wouldn't show because the batter is so thick, so I would slip the spatula underneath the pancake to see how browned the bottom was before I flipped.



FLIP!


Perfect dark brown :) I then always add more choc. chips (because who doesn't love more chocolate)! Usually just a few though...


If you get brave, you can try two in a pan. (this I do not recommend. It gets very messy!!)





You gotta keep an eye on these guys after the flip, as they tend to cook rather quickly.


 Perfect!

I like to smear around the melted chocolate chips and make a super chocolate covered pancake.

Served with either pure maple syrup or frozen greek yogurt makes this an amazingggg meal!

Ingredients:
2 egg whites
1/2 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup rolled or quick oats (whichever you prefer)
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 heaping tablespoons of flaxmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons brown sugar
dark chocolate chips


Recipe:
In a small bowl whisk together the egg whites, then add the milk and the vanilla. In a separate bowl mix together the oats, flour, flaxmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well. Add the brown sugar to taste. Heat a skillet or frying pan to medium low heat. Spray the pan with cooking spray. Drop a spoonful of batter onto the skillet and smooth it out to be a circle using the back of a rubber spatula. Sprinkle chocolate chips all over the pancake batter in the skillet. After about 4 minutes, check the bottom of the pancake using your spatula and peaking underneath. If it looks brown, flip the pancake. Place a few more chocolate chips on the pancake. After about 2 minutes, check the bottom of the pancake and continue to check until it is a golden brown color. Place on a plate, drizzle with real maple syrup, cut, and enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment