Sunday, July 15, 2012

What is Relaxation?

It's an interesting question, if you think about it. What is relaxation? How do you do it? And how do you truly set aside time each day to calm your mind and your soul? 



This is something that I struggle with daily. Working all day, every day during the week definitely takes its toll on my mental and physical well being. Don't get me wrong, I know that I am SO lucky to have a full time job. One that I like and can see myself growing within the company, but there are so many days recently when I stop and ask myself, what do I actually want to do with my life? How can I make a difference? Is there a job out there where I can feel happy every single day? Who knows....I am still in my early twenties... I'm not supposed to know what I want to do with my life yet....right? Welp, that's what I tell myself anyway! Recently, I have been doing different things to relax after work and unwind my thoughts. Here is a list of things I've been loving:

1. Reading Blogs

This is something I do each and every day. Whether it's at work during down time, or right before I go to sleep at night, I love catching up on the blogs I follow. I feel that I have learned so much about myself simply by reading about other people's thoughts, opinions, and just every day happenings. My favorite blogs currently are the following:

I like each of them for different reasons, but truly love reading all of their posts and getting to know the girls a little bit more each day. I have learned something from each of them.

2. Baking

Who doesn't love having a warm, chocolatey dessert to eat at the end of the night? No one. Exactly. Baking is something I have always loved. As a young child it started with baking "slice and bake" cookies which evolved to baking brownies out of the box. I am happy to say that I now bake my cookies from scratch.

Dark Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
I love coming up with new ways to make my cookies and bars healthy. For me, it has become my new creative outlet. I do this with cooking as well, which brings me to number 3....

3. Cooking

Cooking has become a passion of mine more so in the past 5 years or so. Baking was always my go to, but after watching hours on hours of the Food Network with my Grammy, I naturally became obsessed with learning how to cook. Obviously still an on going process seeing as I tend to revert to the same few meals:

Hummus, Quinoa, and Veggie Sandwich
Veggie Quesadilla
Grilled Veggies with Balsamic Vinegar
Salad with Hummus, Peppers, Egg Whites, Tomatoes, and Quinoa
My Brother Connor Making Quesadillas with Me

But still fun nonetheless!! I also love cooking with my family (see above!), which doesn't happen as often anymore because everyone is always so busy. But those occasional days when it does, are always so great :)


4. Shopping

I'm a 21 year old girl who works in retail, obviously clothes are my passion. I swear half of each pay check goes to shopping since starting at my job, but hey if it makes me happy to have fun, new clothes to wear what's the harm (footnote: I live at home and therefore only have a small amount of bills and a small rent to my father to worry about.... the REAL real world comes in a year....not as many clothes will be purchased). My most favorite most recent purchases are:

From Free People (copied this image from the June Catalog)
Skirt from Forever21. Loving the High Low Trend!
Gap Shorts
http://www.fringeandlace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/P5085351-290x435.jpg
Maxi Dress Purchased from Tag in Manayunk
Running Shorts from Gap

Mizuno Women's Wave Rider 15 - Narrow Running Shoes
Mizuno Running Shoes (still getting used to these...)


5. Exercising

I love to get my adrenaline pumping and the endorphins flowing. Right now I'm loving short runs and longer bike rides. I am riding in the Lemon Ride next Sunday to help raise money for Alex's Lemonade Stand. 26 miles.... Eeekk! My dad is convinced I can do it, so that has to be good enough for me!


6. Watching TV

Lame I know. I reallyyyy try not to do this that much. I hate that after I come home and make dinner that all I want to do is just veg on the couch and watch tv, but some days that's what I need to do to clear my head. My favorite tv shows are all off for the summer:







So I've been watching movies on HBO or On Demand. Most recent was Wanderlust. SOOO funny. I watched it with my brother, and we were both laughing so hard. I'm a sucker for a good comedy. Which leads me to number 7....

7. Watching Movies

I love to laugh. I love to make people laugh. I find the littlest things in life to be funny. Because of this, I hateee sad movies. I hate The Notebook and Ps. I Love You. Why the heck would I subject myself to such sadness when it's not necessary? There are enough horrible and sad things in the world that I don't need to watch a fictional movie to make me feel that way. That's my opinion anyway...hope I didn't turn anyone off! For all of these reasons and more, my go to movies are always comedies. The movies that I have watched and re watched the most are:


So yeaaaa, that's how I have been relaxing lately!!

How do you relax? 
Do you like sad movies? 
What makes you laugh?

No comments:

Post a Comment